Can wine really improve our health and increase longevity? Scientists are beginning to say "Yes!" Supposing that the theory is true -- which wines give us the most bang for the buck?
Researchers have found that red wines rich in flavonoids are best for our health. Flavonoids are best known for their antioxidant qualities and help the body resist such maladies as allergens, viruses and carcinogens.
Red wines also contain anxioxidants, which help the body resist cancer and cardiovascular disease. Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Syrah and Pinot Noir contain the highest concentrations of antioxidants and flavonoids.
Other red wines such as Merlots and red zinfandels contain fewer flavonoids, but more than most white wines. So, the best bet for drinking wine for our health is to stick to the dryer red wines. Just because wine contains components that are central to good health doesn't give us a free rein to get plastered every night. Don't overdo it -- but adding a glass of wine to your daily diet can definitely make a difference to our health.
Paracelsus, the noted 16th-century Swiss physician wrote, "Wine is a food, a medicine and a poison - it's just a question of dose." As with almost any food or drink, wine consumed in large doses can be a detriment to our health.
Most health officials agree that one or two four-ounce glasses of wine per day can be beneficial to men, while women should limit their consumption to one four ounce serving per day.
Cardiovascular expert, Professor Roger Corder, has spent years studying the evidence of health benefits from red wine. In his new book, "The Wine Diet," he says he is convinced that most of us should include red wine in our every day lifestyle.
Corder discovered what he eventually labeled the "French Paradox." Specifically, he wondered why the French have a lower rate of heart disease despite the fact that their diet was extremely rich in fats. He concentrated his research on the southwest portion of France, where life expectancy seemed to be highest.
Professor Corder discovered that the region produces very tannic local wines, which contain the highest procyanidin (antioxidant) content of any wines, worldwide. This led him to further research on the amazing medical benefits of red wine.
While wine may not be man's ultimate elixir or fountain of youth, it certainly behooves us to consider adding a glass of wine or two to our daily diet - and raise a "toast" to our continued good health.
1. When he leans in for a kiss, pull the back of his head closer to you with your hands. Lightly tug on his hair as you kiss to reinforce the message that you can't get enough of his mouth on yours.
2. Just before you go down on him, lick your lips and whisper in his ear that you can't wait to taste him.
3. As you're hanging out in bed doing your normal thing-maybe watching a movie or reading-suddenly roll over, lie on top of him, and writhe your entire body against his through your clothes.
4. Pin his hands above his head, and use only your breasts to give his chest a sexy rubdown. Put a dab of lotion on your nipples to enhance the skin-on-skin sensation.
5. Give him a real-life wet dream: invite him to join you in the shower, and then surprise him by getting on your knees and taking his penis into your mouth. The warm stream of water against his back combined with the warmth of your mouth will feel so good, he'll need to brace himself against the shower bar to stay standing.
6. While you're making out, take two of his fingers and press them against the outside of your underwear so he knows just how wet he's getting you.
7. As he's giving you oral, rock your hips in rhythm to his movements, and lift your lower half toward him to show just how into it you are.
8. Push your guy down on the bed with his arms by his sides and straddle him so that your knees lightly pin his forearms against his body. Tantalise him by showing peeks of skin for a few seconds while simultaneously circling your hips like you're riding him cowboy-style.
9. Sneak up behind your guy while he's on the phone and reach around to grab his penis. Use a firmer, underhand grip to re-create the way he touches himself while giving him warm, breathy kisses from just below the earlobe to that ultra-sensitive spot where the bottom of his neck meets the top of his back.
10. Give him an F-me-now kiss: stroke the back of his neck with one hand, grab his butt with the other, and press your boobs into his chest and your pelvis against his.
Eating Less may keep the Mind Young
Eating less may keep the mind young, according to Italian scientists who reported Monday they have discovered the molecular process by which a strict diet may save the brain from the ravages of age.
Eating less may keep the mind young, according to Italian scientists who reported Monday they have discovered the molecular process by which a strict diet may save the brain from the ravages of age.
The research, published in the US journal the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, is based on a study of mice that were fed a diet of about 70 percent of the food they normally consumed.
Scientists found the calorie-restricted diet triggered a protein molecule, CREB1, that activates a host of genes linked to longevity and good brain function.
"Our hope is to find a way to activate CREB1, for example through new drugs, so to keep the brain young without the need of a strict diet," said lead author Giovambattista Pani, researcher at the Institute of General Pathology, Faculty of Medicine at the Catholic University of Sacred Heart in Rome.
Researchers have previously discovered that mice on diets showed better cognitive abilities and memory, less aggression, and tended to avoid or delay Alzheimer's disease. But they have not known exactly why.
"CREB1 is known to regulate important brain functions as memory, learning and anxiety control, and its activity is reduced or physiologically compromised by aging," said the study.
Mice that were genetically altered to lack CREB1 showed none of the same memory benefits if they were on a low-calorie diet as mice that had the molecule, and showed the same brain disabilities as mice that were overfed.
"Thus, our findings identify for the first time an important mediator of the effects of diet on the brain," Pani said.
"This discovery has important implications to develop future therapies to keep our brain young and prevent brain degeneration and the aging process."
According to Marc Gordon, chief of neurology at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Glen Oaks, New York, the findings could shed new light on why some people who are obese in middle age encounter cognitive problems later in life.
"Mid-life obesity has been associated with late-life dementia. However, the physiological basis for this association remains unclear," said Gordon, who was not part of the study.
"These investigators have studied the effects of limiting caloric intake in mice, and have identified a biochemical pathway that may mediate at least some of the brain's responses to dietary restriction."
Dance your way to a perfectly toned body
Ever wondered why dancers have perfectly beautiful bodies? The washboard abs, the toned thighs, and the figure you always dreamed of having? It’s because dancing is enough of a workout for the body. And it is fast becoming an alternative to the gym in Indian cities. Not only is dancing fun and beautiful, and can teach you the grace and poise that you always wished you had, it can also be a great way to lose weight and tone your body.
More and more people are opting for what is now being called ‘dancercise’. The burgeoning number of dance schools in Delhi could be some indicator of the trend. Seema Malik, a software professional, took up salsa lessons because a friend of hers wanted to learn the dance form and needed a partner. She was pleasantly surprised to find that she had lost a few kilos during her stint at the course. “I enjoyed it so much more than being in the gym,” she says. She enjoyed it so much, that three years on, she’s still dancing.
Parul, a trainer and Mentor at one of Delhi’s leading dance schools says, “Clients are very clear that they want to learn dance that can help them lose weight and tone their bodies. Dance is a great way to get into shape – the salsa is great to tone your hips, the twist is great to give you that Scarlett O’Hara waistline, and hip-hop dancing is a great way to gain power and build stamina.”
Contemporary dancing and Bollywood dance too is becoming more and more popular. These are not fixed or traditional at all. So, with varied amounts of all kinds of dance forms being used, they make for a lot of fun and help lose weight as well! Seema agrees. She has learnt jazz dancing, salsa, and is now hoping to do a module in belly dancing as well. “It’s distressing,” she says, “after a long hard day at work, where I spend most of time peering into a computer monitor, dance is my stress buster.”
Foods to keep you Young
You can add years to your life simply by making the right food choices. Of course, leading a healthy lifestyle and staying active would help but for delaying the aging process, nothing beats having a nutrient-packed diet rich in antioxidants. The antioxidants destroy cell damaging free radicals of your body and prevent many diseases. This results in delaying the decaying process of the body. Include the following foods in your diet to stay younger for longer.
It has high content of polyphenols, powerful antioxidant which help to prevent diseases related to age. The monosaturated fats found in olive oil were responsible for low rates of heart disease and less occurrence of cancer on a Greek island known as Crete. There was study called Seven Country Study 40 years ago which concluded that it was due to the good health impact of olive oil.
If you start taking organic milk instead of regular pasteurised one, it would be much more conducive to have good health. This is because the antioxidants are more in those cows that have been fed on grass or other organic food items. The milk of these cows show 40 to 50 percent more antioxidants compared to conventionally bred cows. Regardless of whether the grains fed to cows are supplemented or not, the cows raised on grass have much more health benefits.
Having 1 cup of yoghurt gives you as much riboflavin as you find in a cup of boiled spinach. Riboflaving (also called vitamin B) is essential for acting as a catalyst of antioxidant activity. Without its initiation, the glutathione antioxidant is not able to destroy free radicals in the body. It is important that you replenish the body’s need for riboflavin daily because it is water soluble and stays in the body for only a few hours. Yoghurt is just the right food for it.
If you remove excess sweeteners from your diet and include natural ones such as brown sugar, maple syrup, honey and molasses, it can help you satisfy your sweet tooth without harming your health. The antioxidant content of molasses in particular was found to be very high by researchers of the Virginia Tech University.
These are rich in unsaturated fats and have benefits similar to those of olive oil. Apart from that, they also contain vitamins, minerals and other phytochemicals which bring down the aging process.
Why Women Like to Cuddle after Sex
Cuddling after sex is women’s way of securing a lasting bond between with her partner. Experts suggest that women need intimacy after sex as they are looking to assurance that they are been actually loved. It is not every woman that likes to cuddle after sex. Some of them even prefer to be left alone or fed after sex, but number of women who like post-coital cuddle top the list.
Susan Hughes a psychologist at Albright College in Pennsylvania conducted a study on after sex behavior. The sample included 170 people who were given online questionnaire. In this study Hughes find out that irrespective of the kind of relation i.e. either long-term or short term relation women like to engage in bonding behaviour after act of mating.
Since women have shared themselves with their love, they become more emotional after sex and realise their feeling of deep love. After sex women mostly prefer cuddling, intimate talking and discussion about relationship.
According to the study by Hughes, "Everything that has to do with intimacy, they were more likely to want." On the contrary, men prefer extrinsic rewards after sexual intercourse. In men’s list of what to do after sex taking nap was followed by munching on snacks. Besides this men are likely to engage in behaviour that will increase likely-hood of repeating the act. Moreover, they prefer eating, drinking and asking for favours from their partner.
Study also show that men prefer to kiss before sex while the women are more likely to initiate kissing after sex. Experts suggest that post-coital preferences mainly vary across the gender due to divergent adaptive reproductive strategies.
One common factor that holds equal importance for both the men and the women is expressing their love in words. In study conducted by Hughes, both men and women said that after sex it was important to say ‘I love you’ to their long-term partner.
Tips on Hygiene Sex
Cleanliness and measures of hygiene are something we are all taught about but only a few are aware of sex hygiene. Certain hygienic steps should be taken by all to prevent any infections as well as to prevent any situation of embarrassment when you are about to indulge in a romp on the bed. Sex hygiene is as important as overall health and the following instructions can work for your benefit.
Tips on Sex Hygiene
- Men need to clean their penis by starting at the head of the penis. If you are uncircumcised, you need to pull back your foreskin as far as it is possible without causing any discomfort. The pulled foreskin will expose both the glans which needs to be gently cleaned with lukewarm water. Ensure cleanliness of the glans and the inner side of the foreskin as a white substance called smegma gets formed here. Smegma consists of dead skin cells, oils, body fluids and bacteria. The presence of this substance can cause infections and foul smell. Circumcised men too need to maintain hygiene as the absence of foreskin can cause the penis head to come in direct contact with sweat and bacteria. Clean your genitals both before and after the sexual act to prevent infections.
- A woman needs to clean her outer genital areas and anus if engaging in anal sex. Cleaning of genitals need to be done to prevent yeast infections as well as bad odour. Wash your genitals both before and after sex to prevent any infections. Do not go overboard with washing by vigorous flushing of vagina or douching with scented liquids as it affects the pH balance of the vagina and can make you prone to infections. Pat dry the privates and not by rubbing with a towel.
- Both men and women should ensure removal of pubic hair which can be done by shaving or by a pair of scissors. Not only it is ghastly to have a bush down there but it is also an invitation to various problems. Since privates are not exposed to fresh air it becomes literally a boiling pot of all infections as heat and sweat makes a perfect breeding area for bacteria. Trimmed pubic hair not only gives a clean appearance but reduces itching and bad odour. Those getting a bikini wax done should be careful of the hygiene standards of the salon.
- Choosing to remain in your sweaty clothes and underwear after a workout is definitely unhealthy. Even if your sweat drenched clothes have dried, they still pose risk for you as bacteria and yeast flourish in sweat and a urinary tract infection or yeast infection is not far. Sweat and dust can block your skin pores around your private area and cause folliculitus, which are inflamed and infected hair follicles.
- For women, they should change their tampons and sanitary pads after every three to six hours depending on the menstrual flow. Keeping them for a long time may let bacteria thrive causing bad odor and infections.
- Never hold on to the urge of going to the washroom to urinate, especially before practicing sex. Urinating makes your bladder get rid of bacteria and toxins that thrive in the urinary tract. Delaying urination speeds up breeding of bacteria which leads to infections. A bladder full of urine makes your urethra prone to infection from your vagina or your partner’s penis.
- Do not indulge in oral sex if either of the partner has sores inside the mouth or near the genitals as it can lead to infections.
- Do not wear tight underwear or tight fitting jeans for a long time as they trap sweat and attract breeding of bacteria. Prefer natural fabrics such as cotton instead of synthetics for your innerwear.
Women’s Supplements for Sexual Health
Ginkgo Biloba Extract
By definition sexual health refers to sexual function, reproduction, desire, ability and enjoyment and their relevance to and effect on one’s overall life. A woman’s sexual health is an integral part of her life. Healthy sexual relationships will promote feelings and experiences which will help a woman in developing and maintaining social and interactive skills. It will also contribute towards a healthy heart and circulation. Dietary supplements specially formulated for women will help her to overcome specific health needs of a woman and at the same time help to improve her general health.
There are many factors which can affect a woman’s sexual health, and they could be physical, psychological or emotional. If health conditions affect any of these areas of a woman’s life, it is bound to impact her sexual health, which in turn could create problems in relationships and she might end up with a serious blow to her self-image.
A huge amount of research in the area of women’s sexual health has resulted in recognising many natural ingredients for their benefits in a woman’s sexual health and related problems. However, it has to be remembered that the body needs more than a few individual ingredients. For optimum benefit, a wide synergistic range of nutrients, which targets the health of all the major organs (including the sexual organs) and systems of the body is necessary. Some of the important ingredients which can be found in women’s sexual health supplements are:
This raises progesterone levels and is an excellent tonic for the heart and circulatory system. It can help dilate arteries, thereby enhancing sexual sensitivity, increased stamina and improved satisfaction.
Chaste Tree Berry
It balances oestrogen levels and helps in overcoming menopause and PMS symptoms such as headaches, cramps, bloating and breast tenderness.
Damiana and Sarsaparilla
They are excellent for increasing sexual desire and energy. Also good for the nervous system. Sarsaparilla contains ‘building block’ chemicals, which stimulates the synthesis of sex hormones.
This helps to combat premenstrual syndrome, cramps and weakness during periods, irregularity, retarded flow and some symptoms of menopause. It also increases oxygen supply to the capillaries, thereby acting as a blood purifier.
Has active ingredients such as isoflavones and aromatic acids which are known to help alleviate menopausal and post- menopausal symptoms.
Wild Yam Extract
This is often used as a natural alternative for oestrogen replacement therapy. Also known to help in vaginal dryness, which is common after menopause, pre – menstrual syndrome and osteoporosis.
Ginkgo Biloba Extract
Improves blood circulation, which has a positive effect on a woman’s sexual function and desire.
5 Secrets of a Healthy Dating Relationship
How should couples keep their relationship alive after dating for a long time? Separation can loom with your cherished dating mate anytime if you take it for granted. No relationship works out well without the couples working on it. If you want your dating relationship to survive and lead to something much more meaningful, use some tips given below.
Best Kept Secrets for a Healthy Dating Relationship
- Trustworthiness – Your partner should feel that you are trustworthy. This involves honest and straightforward communication. Lying to your partner and being caught later is the worst thing that can happen for the stability of your relationship. Confiding to your partner and being truthful will instil respect for you. On the other hand, once your lie is found out, the lost respect and trust may never be rebuilt.
- Refuse the date if you do not feel well – You should be ready to say no to your date if you do not feel like it. If work or any other chore has taken a toll on your body and mind, it is much better to refuse. Otherwise, you will ruin your partner’s whole day. Your date may insist on it but be firm when you know it would not go down well. Promise to make the next date a memorable one.
- Making outing plans together – When you plan to go for movies, attend birthday parties or vacations, make sure that it fits into the schedule of both of you. Do not have a plan about which your partner does not know anything. Respect each other’s time when planning on any of these outings. The decision for such activities should be made after discussion with your partner and not all by yourself.
- Your expectations may not be met – First of all, it is of essence that you do not have unreasonable expectations from your partner. But most importantly, do not expect your partner to fulfil these every time, especially if you have not communicated them. Many times, it is the mistake of hiding expectations that brings about a rift in a relationship.
- Be considerate of your partner’s career – Learn to support the aspirations and career goals of your partner. You must respect what your partner does for a living and avoid the feeling of competition. Respecting each other’s career would bring about harmony in your relationship and it would be one of the foundation pillars of a meaningful long-lasting bond.
Quick Fixes for Every Relationship
Every relationship goes through some sort of rut sooner or later, but successful ones are those in which the couples are proactive about getting it back on track. Never forget what made you two fall for each other in the first place. If you keep that feeling alive, be a little more experimental, the spark that seemed to be missing will come back.
Tips to Quick Fix the Rut in your Relationship
- Be tender – You need to make your partner feel special. Do not allow yourself to be too caught up in the rush and chores of everyday life. Never take your partner for granted, and find a moment at least once a day to give compliments and show that you care.
- End the communication gap – Communication is the key to keeping every relationship going. If you find that you have not been talking to your partner without rushing it through, you have not done the right thing. You really need to get a good conversation going, i.e. listening intently to what your partner is saying, asking questions and even start dating once again. You need to be interested in what your partner thinks and feels.
- Come out of your comfort zone – The daily drill of your life becomes burdensome and contributes to the rut of your relationship. So, you really need to do something out of the blue. Since you are looking to end the rut, the something new can be a little weird too. But even if you do something as simple as going to a new restaurant, or a live concert instead of plopping yourself on the sofa to watch the movie. Take a walk in the garden instead of watching the news or plan a picnic in your garden.
- Turn off the gadgets – Cell phones, iPods, computers and television should not come in the way of your relationship. It would be good to set aside one hour daily when you would have nothing to do with any of these. Focus completely on your partner.
If you take your relationship seriously, the daily chores of your life cannot come in the way of having a great one. Do not let the lack of spark confound you as it is a natural thing to happen. The tips given here can help to quickly get you two back to having a great time together.
The art of sexual foreplay
Spices are essential for food to be lip-smacking and sexual foreplay is one such spice in your sex life which will keep you wanting for more. It must not be given a skip because it is physical manifestation of a reservoir full of emotions for your partner. This doesn’t however mean that you must spend hours in cuddling, kissing and using the trial and error method to arouse your partner.
As per a scientific study – both women and men take 10-15 minutes to be sexually aroused. It might, however, in some cases take more time for women to be sexually aroused. Agreeing with this, Dr. Rahul Gupta, Sexologist at Ashok Clinic says, “Women tend to like sexual foreplay even more than the actual intercourse. In this light sexual foreplay can be a warm up.”
Tips for a warming up:
- Eye contact: They say silence speaks a thousand words and this non-physical act can make your partner go weak in the knee.
- Just Kiss: rather than groping at each other. Close your eyes and enjoy a deep tongue kiss or whichever you have mastered in. It’s a stimulus enough to get a desired response of being up intimate and one.
- Dirty dancing: Well even if you’ve got two left feet it doesn’t matter. Those not-so-perfect moves can be quite intimidating. Krutika says that both she and her partner enrolled themselves for a salsa class. At night imperfect dance moves in served as foreplay.
- Get naughty: Put ice cubes on the nape, handcuff your partner and pour chocolate syrup, whipped cream. Take time to wipe it clean. Of course with your tongue.
- Gentle touch: Give them a love-bite in a subtle fashion and run your fingers through the hair, arms, lips, stomach, thighs. Just tickle. Feather-tickle can work but do it with a look-to-die-for.
- Massage: Dim the light of the rooms. Light the scented candles. Create an ambience -- a romantic one. Play some soft romantic music and give each other a foot or a back massage.
- Denying a touch and wink- It is a major turn on. To check-mate remove your partner’s clothes with erotic moves. Tease them while you do so. Master the art!
- Scrabble: You’ll love it. Do trash talking through those tiny blocks of alphabets. Arouse each other with dirty diction. Prepare some rule-book for it and punish with lets say a spank and reward with a kiss.
Don’t be orthodox and lower your inhibitions to talk about what might be sexually arousing to your partner. It is advisable you do it outside the bedroom because there’s no time to contemplate when in bed. Dr. Rahul Gupta adds, “It will make both man and the woman comfortable with each other and when in action men can easily get an errection and the women’s vagina will be lubricated enough for a comfortable and pleasing intercourse.” Now, how’s that for an experience?
Avoid trial and error method to see which one would work on your partner. Be prepared because he/she might not say anything then but might surprise you with an embarrassing remark, maybe, later. But you can surely be experimental: Discuss and invent with your partner. Who says only scientists can invent?
Lose weight by surfing the web
Technology has made life simpler for not just a handful of people but everyone. With a click of a mouse you can do innumerable things. There is inexhaustible information made available to people on the internet. Apart from being a revolution in technology, computers have been able to revolutionise the health of people too.
Praneta, a school student who has just hit her teens says, “I’m glued to the internet to find out how much calories or proteins or carbohydrates ration is good for my age. I lost 2 kgs in a month by restricting myself to a diet which was prescribed for people with my body weight and height on a health portal. It was great because I could also calculate the amount of calories I was consuming every day.”
On raising doubts about the authenticity and credibility about such portals, Praneta quickly adds, “These forums are usually interactive and various dieticians and nutritionists come forth and advice many who are a part of the forum. This automatically eliminates any fear of believing someone unknown located in some other part of the world.”
Like Praneta, there are plenty of people who invest faith in weight management websites. But is it safe to do so? Let’s find out –
There is no second guess to affirm the fact that weight loss programs do reveal many secrets and tips and techniques through which people can lose weight. But as far as the safety, reliability, scientific information and effectiveness of the same is concerned, beliefs and results are bound to vary from person to person.
According to a research study, the internet is fast becoming a place where people spend hours all together to keep weight off them.
The study was done on 1,600 obese participants. 350 out of the total number lost an average 8 kgs during initial six months they surfed a weight management website. In fact, those who logged in at the website – once a month for a period of two-and-a half-year – more frequently than others kept off most weight. The participants actively used the interactive website tool to get feedbacks from dieticians and nutritionists, joined online chatrooms, submitted food diaries and tracked their progress.
Quite interestingly, the nomenclature of the weight management websites is such that it virtually becomes a platform for personal counselling and group meetings.
Kabir, a graphic designer working in an MNC, who lost 10 kgs by keeping a track on his food habits and exercise regime with the help of health centred portals, says “Such weight management websites are a great forum because one can speak the heart out. No one bothers how fat or skinny you are. I started feeling better about myself. It was like a psychological boost.”
Clinical Psychologist at VIMHANS, Dr Pulkit Sharma adds, “Surfing the web to lose weight has two sides to it. On a positive side it gives a platform to people where they can share experiences and stories and find social support. Interaction, guidance and motivation help them to come to terms with their individuality and gives them a sense of being. On the flip side they might feel distressed because they would be aiming to reach a certain and ideal body type. So, this creates a paradoxical situation.”
So, if you’re looking for a website which can help you keep a track of your weight; make sure you keep the following in mind –
- Avoid programs that promise unrealistic weight loss
- Research in advance, if you’re paying to become a part of a program.
- Make sure you're rigorously following the diet and exercise regimen.
Looking at successful people makes you want to be thinner
According to an article published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior, it is not size zero models that make women want to be thinner; it is images of successful people irrespective of their size. So, even if that brilliant advertisement for that great car in which a super skinny model hogs on high calorie foodstuffs because “curves are back” made you feel glad, it won’t affect your wanting to get more attractive.
“Heterosexual women were unhappy with the way their bodies looked”
This study, conducted by Norman Li – a psychologist of Singapore Management University – and his colleagues, showed portraits accompanied by character descriptions to 841 volunteers in Austin, Texas (USA) and found that heterosexual women were unhappy with the way their bodies looked and were more likely to change their eating habits after seeing pictures of successful women. Surprisingly, heterosexual men did not give the same response. Even more surprisingly, lesbian women did not give the same response, but gay men behaved exactly like straight women. In the researcher’s words, “These findings support the idea that the ultimate explanation for eating disorders is related to intrasexual competition.”
This behaviour has an evolutionary origin
An ANI (Asian News Network) article quoted Li as having said that this behaviour has an evolutionary origin and suggested that since people in the west tend to gain weight as they get older, they have come to equate thinness with youth and attractiveness, and competitive advantages in general. Thus when we see ultra thin celebrities in the media, our competitive instincts go into overdrive.
BDD (body dysmorphic disorder), anorexia and bulimia
“What we see in the media plays a large role in how we view ourselves, It makes us feel ugly and be thinner, leading to problems like BDD (body dysmorphic disorder), anorexia and bulimia.”
Tips to Lose Weight in a Week
If you want to lose weight in a week than, think again. It is not advisable to fix such a small period of time for bringing about such changes in your body. You can consider the case of Glenn Mcgrath, the Aussie cricket player lost 7 kgs. over 5 days of a test match in Chennai. This is the case of a sportsperson enduring the physical strains demanded by his profession and not someone looking for a quick fix solution. Still, for starters it is good that you have found motivation for weight loss. Some comprehensive tips to lose weight in a week which develop an inclination to continue with the new lifestyle are ideal for you.
Tips to Lose Weight in a Week
- Burn more calories than you consume – You need to keep a calorie count of burned and consumed calories. Aim for burning 500 calories in a week which will help you burn a pound in one week. It is not healthy to aim for higher as it can leave you too strained to continue the next day.
- No Sodas – It can be easy to consider the sodas as ok as it is a drink. Nothing can be far from the truth. Sodas contain 150 calories in each can. As you are looking to burn more calories than consume, avoid them.
- Have Healthy Snacks – If you are in the habit of regular snacking throughout the day than it is very difficult to lose weight in a week but by choosing a healthy alternatives for wafers, cookies or buns can help your cause. Ideally, cut vegetables to snack-size portions and carry them to work.
- Control Cravings for Sweets – If you are used to having sweets and feel the craving for it, do not relent. Instead of cookies, candy or any other high calorie stuff, have a chewing gum. You will be able to satisfy your craving without the excess of empty calories found in sweets.
- Exercise Plan – Stick to those low impact calorie burning activities that suit your body. Never make the mistake of hoping for weight loss in 7 days with strenuous weight lifting for hours. You can do that after at least one month of preparation with mild exercises. These can also include simple changes in everyday behaviour. Park away from the door to walk more, take the stairs instead of elevator, take interest in walking or even taking a stroll in the garden. The purpose is to burn calories.
Difference between Live-in relationship and Marriage
Our society is headed for a massive overhaul owing to the recent trends that have developed in relationships. It seems like more and more couples are warming up to the idea of a live-in relationship before they actually get married. This growing trend has raised fundamental questions about the difference between live-in relationships and marriage.
Rules of Commitment
It is a generally accepted view that married couples are far more committed to each other than couples living together before marriage. However, this is highly debatable. Live-in relationships are also based on the basic principle of commitment. Albeit there is no legal document signed but just like in a marriage, in a live-in relationship too, two people come together because they feel an inextricable tie.
Live-in relationships do guarantee immense financial freedom for both parties involved. In a marriage however, it is generally accepted that the married couple share their earnings and enter into joint financial venture. However, these rules are not carved in stone. In today’s day and age even married couples tend to keep their financial matters separate and many live-in couples decide to share their individual earnings.
Attitude of Society
Despite the fact that there are scores of couples who are opting for live-in relationships, the society still attaches a taboo to such relationships. The majority looks at live-in relationship as a dilution of morals and more importantly tradition. Marriage on the other is still venerated by most despite the alarming rise in the number of divorces and problems in relationships. Therefore, the primary difference between live-in relationships and marriage is that marriage has received the societal stamp of approval and live-in relationships are yet to do so.
Where do they stand in terms of Law?
A marriage is governed by a separate set of laws in all countries which safeguards the interests of both parties who enter into the union. Live-in relationships on the other hand have received due recognition in a few countries such as France and Philippines. In India, presently there is no law defining the maxims of a live-in relationship. The Supreme Court however, has observed in a current ruling that a woman who has lived in a live-in relationship for a long period of time should enjoy the same rights that a married woman is entitled to.
The decision to enter into a live-in relationship or a marriage depends entirely on the two people involved. They need to be aware of the pros and cons of both and should at the same time rationalise as to what they really want out of the relationship. Entering a live-in relationship because it is fashionable or marrying someone because that is what the society wants are both ill-informed decisions and hence should be avoided. Moreover, relationship help is available to both married and live-in couples. So there is no point in hsying away from it in times of crisis.